April Fools' Day
According to Wikipedia, April Fools' Day or April The First is a day celebrated in many countries on April 1. Other famous "1st of the month" days include May 1st, July 1st, and February 1st (except during Leap Years when it's probably February the 2nd or something). Aprils' Fools Day is known by different names by foreigners. In Mexico it is the "Cinco De Mayo", the so-called Day of The Dumb, in America it is the "11th of September", and in Texas it is "George Bush's Birthday" although like Jesus, Dubya wasn't actually born on April the 1st but July the 6th.
April Fool's Day Gifts
Children are encouraged to write for presents to the legendary figure of Father April The First. Who apparently lives at the West Pole with his troup of performing midgets. (I think that last bit may have been made up though - see Father Christmas.)
Famous gifts include ;
- The foundation of Apple computers
- The first words of Mein Kampf are written
- Same-sex marriage becomes legal in the Netherlands
- Iran becomes an Islamic Republic
- Google introduces its Gmail product to the public
- Start of the Bosnian war
- Margaret Thatcher's new local government tax, the Community Charge (commonly known as the 'poll tax'), is introduced in Scotland. Actually that last one was quite funny.
Some argue that these things alone should get April 1st made a fucking public holiday.
Famous April 1st pranks
- The BBC television programme Panorama ran a famous hoax in 1957, showing Italians eating spaghetti. Amused locals stoned the filthy dagos to death .
- In 1996, Taco Bell took out a full-page advertisement in The New York Times announcing that they had purchased the Liberty Bell to "reduce the country's debt" and renamed it the "Taco Liberty Bell." Since Taco Bell sells an arse-burstingly disgusting parody of Mexican food, people neither laughed nor gave a single shit.
- Duodecimal time: Repeated several times in various countries, this hoax involves claiming that the time system will be changed to one in which units of time are based on powers of 12.
- The English language Japan Times published a special April Fool’s Day edition titled “not Japan Times.” Its front page story reported on a Japanese politician who was being investigated for not taking bribes. According to the Guinness Book Of Nazis, this is officially The Funniest April Fool's Prank Of All Time .
- Ann Coulter fell for a Car & Driver gag when they claimed Obama was shutting down NASCAR. Like a typical conservative, she (he, it?) ranted about the horrible communist onslaught that was to befall Amerka, even though it was just for lulz.
- April Furs Day
- WHY IS THERE AN ARTICLE?
- Madeleine McCann
- Surprise sex
- Stephen Colbert
- Rick Roll
April Fools' Day
is part of a series on
[Go Live One]
|April Fools' Day is part of a series on WHY IS THERE AN ARTICLE?|