- Web IRC
- ED Bookmarklet
From Encyclopedia Dramatica
You’ve done something stupid. Perhaps you have pissed off other members; posted something that was prohibited or just acted fucking stupid. Or perhaps W.T. Snacks got bored again. You think that you’re invincible; NOTHING can stop you from having this much fun. Oh shit. An admin just saw what you did. And what happens? You were just banned. You are now unable to do what was fun, can’t post anymore and can’t access pages that you used to prior to being banned. And even worse; you deserved it. Shame on you. (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
The banhammer, (historically referred to as B&jolnir) forged in the flames of Lolhalla, is the ultimate weapon against the unfunny and all breeds of vandal. It should only be wielded by the righteous - its true powers are only accessible by those who descend from Trolldin to champion the causes of the meek.
When someone posts something unfunny, you may choose one of
three four options:
- Read their post in a high-pitched voice. This requires a microphone.
- Post "get banned faggot".
- Upload Captain Picard.
All of these increase your e-penis size by about the same amount.
So you like to go onto chatrooms and/or forums and check to see how many little boys are looking for lovin' from a 43 year old who still lives with his mother. Chances are you are going to get B& or end up in front of this charming young gent.
A command executed in the LiveJournal admin console in the form of "ban_set username," wherein username identifies the LJ user one wishes to ban. Banning prevents a person from commenting in a journal; after the serial adder craze post-invite code, it also removed a person from the "friend-of" list of the banner.
A meme in which various users post a list of people to ban from their journals for some reason or another.
- prfctlj4evr and prfctlj4evr2 ban lists as shown by furries. This list appears to be a copy/paste of jameth's friendslist and girlvinyl's friendslist.
- List of Banned furries in retaliation to the above.
The ban set command is often used at the LiveJournal community ONTD because the mods suck.
The ultimate in message board and LJ pwnage. To be perma-banned is to be permanently banned, usually from a channel in IRC or some other access-restrictable resource on the internets. Permbans are virtual decapitations - you managed to do something so monumentally stupid that the site's admin decided to actually go to the trouble of making sure that you never, ever have access to their little domain ever again. They rolled up the clubhouse's ladder, changed the secret password, and probably even told all their OL friends that you are nothing but a big poopy head.
Unfortunately, real permabans are extremely rare on the internets. The stupid, irrational and humorless (that's 90% of the internet population) will treat any IP ban, account ban, email address ban or any other form of access restriction as the epitome of internet justice while remaining oblivious and ignorant to the fact that such bans are negated within seconds. Should a troll be banned from a certain place and has the will to continue to disrupt that place's regular actions, he will dodge the "ban" in a minute. Such knowledge of ban-dodging is well-hidden within most trolling organizations' archives and are never revealed to the public, for the stupid, irrational and humorless will perceive such knowledge as an A+ way to pwn the internets. However, that is not perceived the same way by the troll, who considers ban-dodging a perfectly legitimate way to continue his actions.
How to get banned
- Post CP
- Be a newfag.
- If System 32 is still on your computer, you will be banned.
- Using a banned word/phrase. For example, starting a thread on /b/ with the phrase "Prove me wrong." (3 day ban, reason-"Prove me wrong...Bullshit")
How to get banned on ED
- Vandalize articles
- Annoy an admin
- Make an edit, any edit
- Being unfunny
True permabans, as opposed to false permabans, occur on those places a person cannot regain access to without doing something as mundane as changing their IP or registering a new account. Such bans are most common in online games where a CD-key, an account or something else that costs RL money is at risk. Therefore, all Something Awful forum bans are indeed true permabans unless someone wants to give Lowtax another ten dollars so he can get laid with an AIDS-infected male prostitute.
The following are examples of IRL permabans.
- Hitler perma-banned the Jews from non-concentrated Germany, and in most cases, also from life.
- A sting ray perma-banned Steve Irwin for the lulz.
- Tookie Williams was perma-banned because douchebag Hipster/Hippies liked him too much.
- Raptor Jesus is said to perma-ban all sinners from heaven on the rapture.
- AIDS has been very prolific IRL admin, and an asshole at that; AIDS is said to have perma-banned over 9000 people. Mostly gays.
- Not all admins single out others however, an heroes oftentimes perma-ban themselves. But this is just because they told you they were hardcore.
- George Carlin spent his life trolling the admin, and was finally permabanned on June 22, 2008.
- Christopher Reeve was perma-banned from walking and polo, likely due to his involvement in Superman III, and his association with Tubgirl
Banned IRL is the process of being denied interaction with the Real World by an appropriate agent. It is, naturally, akin to being Banned OL minus the option of a Chinaman's chance in Arbchat. God/your family is indeed a cruel and unforgiving sysop, even worse than ODB on a bender.
Being Banned IRL most commonly refers to the death or destruction of a person or object, an act designed to put themselves and the world at large out of the misery of having to interact with them. Since banning is a deliberate act the epithet is best used when said death was deserved and done with impunity, such as during the holocaust. People known as internet killers combine both IRL and OL pwnage into a curious meta-banning process that requires non-linear time to properly calculate the significance of.
Those who have been V& for IRL crimes and/or faggotry can also be considered having been subject to an IRL ban. However, instead of dining in hell, these individuals go directly to jail, and therefore do not pass go and do not collect $200. They're essentially basement dwellers with forced lurker status and a black person with a 12-inch heat-seeking dong for a roommate. They also get free HBO.
The following are perfect examples of those who were banned in real life.
- The Jews for money. Ban Method: Holocaust
- WTC for being The Man. Ban Method: airplane
- Afghanistan for banning WTC. Ban Method: Kill it with fire
- Dumbledore for killing lulz. Ban Method: Shoop Da Whoop
- Bill Clinton for lolicon. Ban Method: impeachment
- Ron Mexico for being a sick fuck. Ban Method: Jail
- Kenny Glenn for being an animal abuser. The fucker. Ban Method: Party Van
- Josef Fritzl for being one crazy mother fucker. Ban Method: v&.
- Megan Meier for being retarded. Ban Method: Myspace to an hero
- Abraham Lincoln for freeing the slaves. Ban Method: Murder
- You for being fat. Ban Method: Go on a diet
- Travis Alexander For sticking it in the pooper of Jodi_Arias
Please Unban, or "Please, unban me!" is a commonly heard phrase OTI and Xat, most often heard on ED and in IRC. Once a user has been banned for faggotry, a flood of sadface and PLZ UNBANS will cascade across a moderator's screen. More often than not the soft hearted faggot weilding a banhammer will comply with the request, thus letting fail and AIDS run rampant in their community.
While the pathetic nature of this feeble, impotent, grammatically flawed statement may appeal to the sentiments of Wikipedos, ED sysops do not sympathize with weakness. They may well choose to strike you a second time with the banhammer out of spite... And of course, for the lulz. Whining for an unban will not get you unbanned on ED. Getting on IRC and sorting out the mess however, might.
"Please unban" is the most common sentence used in a ban appeal, and is 99.9% ineffective. Begging will get you nowhere, but ass kissing certainly will. Sucking up to any potentially friendly mod/op is a surefire way to get right back in, should you act the fool.
Ban appeals are the biggest source of lulz for admins and mods since time began. After you have been banned, generally for falling for the /b/tards favorite of "eval", you get a chance to tell the mods on 4chan (who don't give a fuck) why you should be unbanned. Generally anything over 4 characters will result in a tl;dr response.
Take these simple steps on how to appeal your ban properly.
- Offer to send CP to the mod if they unban you
- Link to free and never before seen porn
- Create a new word, ie: "Shhhlongdongler"
- Threaten to be an hero
These steps, however, are the exact opposite of what to do in order to appeal your ban.
- Give a genuine reason for why you deserve to be unbanned
- Type moar than 4 characters
- Call moot a faggot
- Challenge the mod to a duel
Of course, these are steps you can take if you, you know, want to actually get unbanned
- Type your ip adress into your browser
- Go to "setup"
- Change your ip
- Save changes
- Go to the MAC address page
- Change your address
- Go to your "status" page
- Release ip
- Unplug your modem
- Chill the fuck out for 5 minutes
- Plug that thing back into your modem
- Renew your ip at your status page if needed
- Get your ISP banned.
This works most of the time. You can thank us later
If however, you get banned on ED. You can click here to appeal your ban.
You got banned, and you don't like it. Your ban appeal was denied, and you still want to post or vandalize. No problem! Here is a non-exhaustive list of ways to evade your ban:
- Use a proxy
- Use a friend's computer, and get him banned too!
- Claim it was your roommate
- Claim you got hacked
How to do it wrong
As effective and almighty as the immortal banhammer can be to the Internet Centurion, there are, believe it or not, ways of turning even this atomic bomb of pain and misery into something even more giggle-worthy then Margaret Thatcher's tits.
The easiest way to make everyone laugh at you is to threaten to ban people from your IRC that has all of eight people on it. It's like threatening to kick someone out of New Jersey.
Another common thing to avoid is the expectation that the person you're banning doesn't have the capability to get back on your server. Since everyone on the internet has a crack team of Mongolian hooker-hackers, it's only a matter of time before they just Make a new account with a temporary E-Mail and troll you until your eyes bleed out your ass and you're left crying in a puddle of your own body fluids like an aborted late term fetus.
Finally: Try to avoid the temptation to micromanage everything ever. Believe it or not, there are millions of eight user large websites and chat rooms where people can go to fulfill their lesbian demon rape fetishes, and your website is quite stupid without users to cause drama and generally ruin everything.
|Gallery||About missing Pics|
Previous Video | Next Video
- 4chan Bans
- ED Rape Victims list
- Its own template
- June Maxam-She bans you for reading her blog.
- Username Bans
Banned is part of a series on
Visit the Memes Portal for complete coverage.
Banned is part of a series on
Visit the Chans Portal for complete coverage.
|Featured article September 16 & September 17, 2013|
| Preceded by|
Where is your X now?
|Banned|| Succeeded by|