|Hey!||This article is an Encyclopedia Dramatica exclusive.
This article is only for the discriminating lulz connoisseur.
If you have any exclusive drama to add, .
Back in 2009, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) did an internal review of their company and the results were not by any means positive. The investigation revealed that 25% of the PG&E ground workforce was untrained or under-trained, as well as numerous employees were poorly informed about proper safety procedure, such as proper grounding. In several regions in which PG&E operates, untrained Supervisors lead untrained workers without actually supervising the workers, in many regions as many as 50% of supervisors actually supervised their ground crew less than an average of once a week. Communication between employees and supervisors is minimal at best. To top it off, workers that are unfit isn't properly addressed because their supervisors are usually unfit as well.
Due to the lack of supervision, ground workers are developing their own policies and procedures for how to do their jobs improperly because they never received adequate training in the first place. To top it all off, lack of safety training makes the likelihood of lower level employees being injured at their job a very common reality.
- 1 Why the fuck do I care?
- 2 Oh my, this is quite serious
- 3 Choice Quotes of The Documents
- 4 Gallery
- 5 So why is Encyclopedia Dramatica hosting this?
- 6 What can I do?
- 7 Despite independent objectives, does Broadside have anything to do with Project Mayhem?
- 8 The Leaks (PDF) itself!
- 9 More examples of PG&E covering things up and murdering whistleblowers
Why the fuck do I care?
- This is already delicious drama due to the fact it is incredibly embarrassing for a company with nearly fifty billion dollars in assets, these documents expose that corruption and incompetence play a large part of business as usual for PG&E.
- This is only the tip of the iceberg. There will be subsequent leaks that are much more embarrassing and, more delicious.
- Considering the level of corruption and incompetence demonstrated as being a part of business as usual, it makes one think twice about what happened in the San Bruno Pipeline explosion. Was the explosion due to massive criminal negligence widespread throughout the corporation? Given the timing of this report (2009), the CEOs were clearly aware of the incompetence of 25% of their workforce. Did PG&E know ahead of time that the San Bruno Pipeline would blow up weeks beforehand, but couldn’t fix it due to their inabilities of their employees, and just kept their mouth shut? After all, they could always deny it and suppress any independent investigations through political pressure. For those who did complain, PG&E compensated victims of this unexpected tragedy.
Oh my, this is quite serious
The further leaks will be more relevant to the apathetic as the revelations in subsequent documents are more personal. However, for those who care about unreasonable exploitation of the employees and corrupt incompetence among public utilities corporations, these documents demonstrate that a general level of apathy towards employees by higher management because they can. Due to PG&E's average annual net income of 858 billion in 2011 and "Too-Big-to-Fail" status of being a public utilities company, this is serious "fuck you money". This combined level of money and power allows PG&E CEOs to not be concerned about the safety of their employees because if they no longer can work or die on the job, the employee can be quickly replaced, after all it is a recession, there is plenty of unskilled labor to be hired and quickly trained.
Choice Quotes of The Documents
—Supervisors are prevented from doing their properly job because of their workload. PDF Page 8
So why is Encyclopedia Dramatica hosting this?
As stated in the headliner for the Encyclopedia Dramatica article, our organization is a central catalog for organized reference pages about drama, memes, e-pals, and other interesting happenings on the internets. Given that the internet has manifested into the IRL, for better or for worse and vice versa, it is our duty to document drama wherever it emerges. Given that IRL drama is becoming so dramatic lately and with the timing that a large vacuum in media will be made as the corruption throughout Rupert Murdoch's media empire is exposed to be completely systemic, we feel that Encyclopedia Dramatica can rise up to claim a portion of that vacuum to deliver truly objective news and punditry: by being biased from all angles. These leaks are to prove that we are serious about this, now are you ready to be a "citizen journalist?"
What can I do?
Even if you have no motivation or desire to contribute to ED but want to support it as an organization, the best thing to do is utilize social networking. Twitter is a powerful tool, it allows thoughts to be shared in real-time, completely open to the world, as well as short and to the point. Think of it as a pool of floating ideas where the masses deem what is fit to be shared with the entire pool (for better or for worse). It also takes all of ten seconds to share a link to this on your Facebook/Twitter/whateverthehellelse account, so you have no real excuse not to you lazy fucker.
Despite independent objectives, does Broadside have anything to do with Project Mayhem?
Yes it does! We believe the current plan of dumping a large number of leaked documents within the time frame of a week (around December 21st) is going to drown out the individuality of each story and simply overload the media, much like what happened with Wikileaks. Such a massive infodump will be the news itself, not the content of each infodump. The only way for this to succeed as planned is if each story creeps out slowly between now and December 21st. There are two objectives of each infodump: First, is to embarrass, shame, and potentially arrest criminals and their cronies exposed through these leaks. Second, have so many infodumps, that the 2012 Presidential Debate is changed to discuss all these infodumps and see which American Presidential Candidate (and other politicians) are really about transparency. Encyclopedia Dramatica is willing to be a host for receiving infodumps, deciphering, and highlighting key points as infodumps are generally tl;dr for mass consumption and for those whom want their drama served directly in their faces.
The Leaks (PDF) itself!
More examples of PG&E covering things up and murdering whistleblowers
- A dead whistleblower was at the center of the explosion
- Smart Meters are dangerous and unsafe
- Even a congresswoman is on the conspiracy that PG&E purged documents related to The San Bruno explosion
Are these just "conspiracies" or will there be leaks that go further into the corruption of PG&E? Only time will tell ;)
Broadside is part of a series on
Visit the Truth Portal for complete coverage.
|Featured article August 7 & 8, 2012|
R. Lee Ermey