Donate to ED • Donors • Advertise on ED
From Encyclopedia Dramatica
Lol: (Acronym: laughing out loud) an exclamation used on the internet to express gaiety and to indicate that one has human laughed in real life, typically as a result of listening to funny jokes. (this term developed as a response to the CNN reports of lol fraud) [syn: IROFL]
Hey! You! Yeah, you with the face! We would like to point out a few things about the abbreviation lol, and why YOU should just stop using it.
- It is an abbreviation for "Laugh/Laughs/Laughing/Laughed out loud". As such, there is no reason on this Earth to add -ed or -ing at the end. That is subsumed in the context in which the term is used. You do not "laugh out louded" nor are you "laugh out louding".
- Since lol is an abbreviation, there is absolutely no reason to use it on a forum or message board. You are not texting and are not being charged for each line you type.
- Lol is not a greeting, a salutation, a closing statement, or punctuation. Stop putting it at the beginning and end of Every. Single. Line. You type. Commas exist for a reason, you halfwit.
- Thanks to the lack of original content, nothing is funny anymore. If you are truly laughing out loud at every insipid and stupid thing you read on the internet, then you are either mentally deficient, have no real sense of humor, or have a brain tumor. In any event, consult a doctor, or better yet, kill yourself.
Those whose intelligence has been mutilated by the internet to the point that they actually say lol in the real world should be skinned, castrated, crucified, killed, killed again, and buried alive with carnivore bugs and extreme prejudice at the earliest opportunity.
Being the most abused abbreviation on the internet, Lol's meaning has reached a point that can't even be parodied anymore. Among the new things it stands for include:
- Lack of Laughter
- Lots of love <3 (A ballsack?)
- Lesbians on Leashes
- "I'm finished typing my sentence now"
- "I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this conversation"
- "I'm scratching my balls and not actually smiling or making any sound but typed it anyway"
However, Lol's main new use is when you say something unfunny and everyone else types it to pity you.
|About missing Pics|
Even unfunnier variations
- Lmao Zedong
- LOL WUT
|Featured article September 19, 2006|
| Preceded by|
|Lol|| Succeeded by|