From Encyclopedia Dramatica
M.U.G.E.N. is the gaming phenomenon in which Marvel fanboys, Hentai lovers, 12 year olds and exiled Shoryuken posters attempt to put gaming companies out of business by ripping off their characters and using them to make their own fighting games. In general, Mugen is like a retarded "Who would win in a fight between Character X and Character Y" debate in video game form. Players can mash together any characters they can think of to build the ultimatest dream crossover that would make even Capcom bow down to their uncontested game-making greatness.
No wait it wouldn't, because they could respond by putting together another Street Fighter sequel made entirely of goat feces and recycled Powerbook parts and it would still play far better than any shitty Mugen compilation assembled by some animu-watching Gamestop clerk. Usually, Mugen creators are too preoccupied with fantasizing about their childhood heroes fighting together, or brainstorming ways of gaining popularity on message boards, to concern themselves with fixing their shitty characters. The result is a giant clusterfuck of broken and buggy gameplay that would cause any tourneyfag to die from a massive embolism.
First introduced in 1999 by Elecbyte, the game initially served as a pity consolation for wishful-thinking Americunt gamers who have no chance of ever landing a job in the gaming business because their hard-earned credentials would be laughed at hysterically by Shigeru Miyamoto and every other Japanese game developer. The prospect of being able to create custom fighting games at the comfort of your own home was an attractive commodity, and thus Mugen jumpstarted the amateur game development/programming industry.
Then one day, a random Mugen creator, while scribbling on his Disney coloring books, pondered what would happen if Mickey Mouse were to join forces with the likes of Ryu and came up with an idea for a . This unholy revelation led to the general conception that anything in Mugen was possible, and very quickly other people wanted in on the action as well. DBZ fanboys wanted to prove once and for all that Brolly is the strongest fighter in the universe, Hentai artists wanted to create nude renditions of the entire Street Fighter roster, Sonic fantards who want their recolors to fight along their girlfriend Amy (Or Boyfriend Sonic/Tails whatever), and arcade scrubs wanted to make overpowered Shotokans in retribution for getting bitch-slapped every time in Marvel vs Capcom 2.
According to the official plot, some karate guy has a non existent girlfriend who gets kidnapped by a never officially created villain who's too suave to make an appearance. However if that doesn't cut the mustard for you, you can always come up with your own sophisticated storylines to accommodate your game, all of which give Mortal Kombat a run for its money. Fan-made stories include:
- A mysterious ghost of all fighting invites any and all warriors to the world of Moogaan to kick the shit out of each other like in Marvel VS Capcom
- The karate character from before gets his dick caught in a jar of pickles and unsuccessfully performs a series of karate moves in an attempt to remove it
- Generic fighter X fights until the game crashes
- The majority of weeaboo stories that can be seen on YouTube
- Fanfic: the game: the movie: The MUGEN
The objective of the game is to download as many characters you can find (while never touching them after one time) and fag up YouTube with roster videos like containing either the Super Saiyan Evil Shin Orochi Omega Shotokan Akuma-like characters, or the rare "normal" characters people will never give a shit about. If you manage to [placeholder joke about caring about video comments], you are teh winnar!
If you're an old-school gamer, however, and don't mind the occasional error message or constant cheap KOs, you can try the old-fashioned way and play the actual game itself. But you cannot play Arcade mode because the ending FUCKING SUCKS, nor can you play Versus mode because Mugen is too cheap to add online play so you have to get someone to play with you. And the only winning strategy in Mugen is to piss off your opponent using as many broken tactics and exploits possible until he ragequits the match in progress, making you the winner by forfeit.
Creating a Mugen character is like writing fanfiction but for a video game instead of for no reason at all. It takes countless weeks to finish a typical character which wouldn't matter anyways because they will be thoroughly pwn3d by the advent of Super Saiyan Osama Bin Laden or an or a bunch of people who have no spare time but making "retard bashing" videos of your imperfect characters. The possibilities are limitless when it comes to making characters, just about anyone and anything imaginable (except good gameplay) can be created for Mugen. No exceptions. Most characters are just sprite/sound replacements for other shit characters. The types of characters you can create include, but are not limited to:
- Perfect conversions of existing fighting game characters, essentially making you no better than ROM makers
- Not-so perfect conversions of characters, with bugs and glitches galore (but at least you'll be the first one to make a Servbot for Mugen, RIGHT???)
- Bastardized Evil edits of characters, with added 1000-hit hyper combos and one-hit-KO moves that will ensure an instant championship at fighting game tournaments
- Totally original characters, usually manifests in the form of a recolor of Ryu or K' with lightning or fire added to make him look like the character you worked so hard to think up
- MSPaint-drawn characters, because you're above ripping off copyrighted games unlike 99% of the community
- Pr0n females (but no pr0n males which makes fags unhappy)
- Characters with tentacle rape action to match up with said pr0n females
- Platform games, shooters, and other innovative ideas, but honestly who even cares
- Gaming characters such as Mario Pikachu and Sonic, which makes you a really sad fantard
- Characters from TV shows such as Family Guy and Futurama, which makes you even sadder than the aforementioned above
- Characters from animu such as Naruto and Haruhi, which makes you even sadder than both the aforementioned above combined
- IRL celebrities such as Tiger's Wood, Miley Cyrus and Wacko Jacko, with added Evil/Shin/Orochi/Omega/God powers.
- Youtube Celeberties such as PewDiePie
- Other celebrities such as Hitler, who don't need God powers to pwn characters
- Characters with hitboxes smaller than an azn dick that are fucking impossible to hit
- Overused 16-bit My Little Pony sprites that rip off Megaman and Sonic The Hedgehog for attacks (Yes, the Brony fanbase loves this kind of shit)
- Awful MUGEN characters even though the person who has these characters in their roster hates them.
- That random person who has a select icon that covers up the whole roster.
- Your mom
There is a shitload of requirements to make people not hate your guts for an eternity such as having your character have perfect sprites (Mostly sprites), gameplay, and balance and if one of them even gets screwed up by the slightest, the Mugen community will hoard up on you and "troll" you by making videos of "decent" characters fighting against yours. Other stuff will happen such as people making a punching bag out of you, calling you a childhood killer or a retard.
Once you've decided on which character to make, it's time to move on to the exciting creation process! And it involves only one simple step: throwing your Mugen game into the Recycle Bin. Unless you can convince a handful of Mugen experts to put their KOF vs Kung Fu Panda ambitions aside and make the character for you, there's no point in reading through long geekspeak tutorials about the Photoshop editing and C++ programming needed to make a Mugen game yourself. Instead, you can achieve the same effect with better results and less TI-81 faggotry by playing with your action figures.
|Gallery of Mugen||About missing Pics|
It's no secret that tourneyfags and other "serious" gamers would rather get fucked in the ass with a rake than to touch Mugen with a 50-foot pole. For years, Mugenites have tried desperately to convince members of the Shoryuken forums to be accepting of their shitty game but to no avail. Self-appointed Mugen ambassador and Rare Akuma creator Alexlexus took it a step further by having a about why Capcom can't compete with the greatness of Mugen. However when asked to showcase his fighting game skills to prove that Mugenites and FGC members can indeed live in harmony, Alexuslexus proceeded to spam Megaman's HP projectile repeatedly in MvC2 to the absolute shock of no one.
Internet celebrities have also commented on the game, including the webmaster of Fighters Generation who described Mugen as making "Marvel vs Capcom 2 seem like a balanced game." Even Capcom employee Seth Killian laughs in the faces of Mugen creators everywhere, when asked about his thoughts on their efforts he simply responded with, "See also: Trying Too Hard."
Despite being the obvious gaming fraud that Mugen is, some people have actually been gullible enough to mistake the game as a legitimate arcade/console release. Like the dumbasses from G4, who saw a for the first time and thought it was a trailer for an upcoming upgrade of Marvel vs Capcom 2.
Considering the legal ramifications surrounding the use of copyrighted characters, it would be a no-brainer for gaming companies such as Capcom and SNK to come down hard on every Mugen user in the world and sue them all for infringement. But Capcom executives are too busy nowadays making 360 Kid faces whenever Mugen is brought up to even take the time to engage in any kind of legal action. SNK, on the other hand, put their foot down on the usage of their characters and ordered the Mugen community to cease and desist. But before they could file lawsuits, the company went bankrupt and had gone out-of-business thus Mugen players were free to use their material in a hilarious twist of fate.
The Mugen Community
As if Mugen wasn't retarded enough, its fanbase is even more of a disgrace that makes the GameFAQs Message Boards look like /v/ in comparison. Surprisingly enough, Mugen players do take some time off of their busy schedules from having mindless ecstasy for shit crossovers like Capcom vs SNK, Street Fighter vs Tekken, and Tasunokamichinokunichiwagawa vs Capcom. Sadly this time off never leads to anything more productive than that, as they would rather waste it all on arguing endlessly over code theft and constructive criticism, encrypting their Mugen characters out of paranoia, and anything else that is equally idiotic. Add to the fact that the majority of regulars consider themselves to be intellectuals, and it makes the entire community seem unbelievably laughable. Then again considering it's Mugen, these are the same idiots that would be happily willing to ride in one of those hilariously-designed Pimp My Ride mobiles in public. Every day, some kid in their basement would constantly upload 50+ MUGEN videos a day making 2 random characters fight other 2 random characters for no reason and mostly the winners don't make sense if they actually had a fight out of MUGEN or one of the character's AIs are so cheap that their opponents get their balls kicked without them having a chance to even throw a punch.
The only positive aspect about the Mugen community is that anyone wishing to document the drama surrounding it will have a gold mine on their hands. Since the Mugen community has some strange obsession with trying to compete with deviantART for Most Number of Long and Pointless Retard Slap Fights, you can bet that there will be a multitude of Mugen drama that will keep you coming back for more. Here is a rough list of all the bitchfests you can expect to stumble upon when entering a typical Mugen forum.
- Creators bitching at other creators for lifting material such as sprites and sounds from their characters and using it with their own characters (first person to point out the irony is this statement wins three Mugen communities)
- Creators bitching whenever their stuff gets uploaded to warehouses and Rapidshit, because now people can go elsewhere to get their characters and not have to go through pages of the creator's Geoshities site talking about himself
- Creators handing out his private characters to thirty of his VIP buddies, only to have them come up in an eSnips search three days later
- Closed-source vs. Open-source debates, with one side thinking they have the power to control their creations on the Internet and the other thinking they have the power to save the Mugen community from unbridled insanity
- Posters complaining about getting character requests in their inbox and posting five-page topics about it on Mugen forums because it's really, really worth it
- Posters bitching at you for being a leecher and not contributing anything to Mugen and the community
- Creators cutting themselves over mean and hurtful criticism on their characters, despite the fact that they have as much coding/spriting skills as Mac users have computer skills
- Feedbackers whining about infinites, .0000000000000001 timing/velocity inaccuracies, or wrong hit priorities as if Mugen players knew anything about fighting games to begin with
- Posters bitching about creators making bad characters, not listening to feedback, and using their egotism as a weapon
- Posters calling Mugen a game and having ten others jumping at him for not properly calling it a game ENGINE
- Posters yelling at newbies to read the Mugen docs whenever they post a question in the Help forum
- Posters being outraged whenever someone sells a Mugen game on eBay or compiles an illegal hack of the Mugen engine itself
- Posters complaining about people not updating their Mugen versions (yes folks, this is as bad as it gets)
- Crazed catgirl fanboys getting pissy because their subject of obsession, like a Darkstalkers' Felicia or a Samurai Shodown's Cham Cham, is being degraded and violated through various means
- Creators complaining about not getting any views/replies in their character release topics
- Posters debating with each other ferociously over the true acronym for M.U.G.E.N.
- Posters pestering Elecbyte about porting Mugen to game consoles, despite that nobody would ever pay a cent to touch its horrible gameplay
- Creators complaining about their characters getting beat up in YouTube videos
- Male posters with GOTIS pretending to have PMS whenever people provide evidence showing that the supposed female Mugen player does have in fact a small penis
- Posters lynching another poster for mentioning Street Fighter Online (SFO), a slightly-more superior game to Mugen
- Posters complaining about ED, so much that they would rather document up-to-date community drama on the TV Tropes Mugen article instead
- Posters making Mugen characters that are extremely bad then making another saying that it's a lot better than their other characters even though it's the same exact poorly made shit
- Posters who have nothing to do in their life but constantly rip off some child's badly drawn spriteswapped MUGEN character.
The only thing more sizable than a single Mugen creator's massive ego is the long list of do's and don'ts (mostly don'ts) thought up by pretend admins wanting to control and manipulate the handling of Mugen characters on the Internet. The Mugen community has a very strict policy when it comes to how Mugen characters should be treated and will do everything in their power to make sure that you, the regular Mugen user, aren't committing any crimes against creator respect. Wait, rules? Ethics? Aren't they already committing a bigger crime by stealing from gaming companies to begin with? Silly goose, you should know by now that there's no such thing as logic and intelligence in the Mugen community! Here is a complete list of these rules in which everyone must abide by in order to avoid being hassled by armchair Mugen contributors still clinging on to the 2003-era of Mugen. EDITOR'S NOTE: This list is not fabricated nor exaggerated in any way to make this list seem more ridiculous than it really is. This one's the real deal!
- Do not host or upload characters anywhere, that includes your Angelfire webspace, e-mail, Rapidshare, and Archive.org.
- Do not modify characters and do not copy coding/sprite material without the creator's permission, even if they are no longer active in the scene or even alive.
- Do not request characters, and do not inquire about characters you see on select screens posted by people who demand that you not request said characters.
- Do not distribute characters given to you privately by your friends and do not reveal "secret" links to characters hosted on public webpages, this is what is considered to be "leaking of private material".
- Do not create patches for characters, including AI patches, palette packs, and DOS/Linux/WinMugen/old-Mugen-version compatibility patches.
- Do not unpack moleboxed Mugen games and take characters from within, this is what is considered to be "warez".
- Do not release open-source sprite packs, and do not reveal the methods of ripping from certain games.
- Do not report character releases on news sites and message boards.
- Do not post screenshots and YouTube videos of characters.
- Do not ask for and download old versions of characters.
- Repeat rules 1-10, only replace the offended creator with the offended spokesperson of the creator.
- Do not release or edit characters unless you are a member of a Mugen "team", and do not post release threads anywhere other than at the aforementioned team's forum.
- Do not disregard feedback in character release threads, do not post release threads if you do not desire feedback, do not wait more than 0 seconds from the initial posting of said feedback to apply bug fixes and balance fixes, and do not use your egotism as a weapon.
- Do not create customized or original-styled characters, everything must be accurate and play exactly like the game source with no hint of originality whatsoever.
- Do not guess on velocities, timings, and collision boxes, and do not neglect extracting accurate said data using advanced game-hacking tools.
- Do not attempt to create a character unless you have accumulated a minimum of 10 years experience in playing every fighting game and mastering every character in existence.
- Do not create characters from KOF XIII and BlazBlue nor characters with "godly-looking" sprites and no "tournament-friendly" gameplay, like SeanAltly's characters, unless you are a certified Mugen converter, have followed all of the above rules, or are an IRC Mugen regular that complains everyday about stupid people in the Mugen community yet continually find ways to get mocked severely on this very page.
Failure to comply with any of these rules will result in the killing of Mugen, multiple statements from creators of quitting, knee-jerk closings of creator sites and databases, , 700-page shitstorm threads, and a vast quantity of ShoShingo-homage posts from newfags such as Kung Fu Man, Byakko, Orochi Gill, Hoshi, TMasta, and MachinaWeapon.
|Don't steal from our Mugens, okay guys? *goes back to ripping Street Fighter sprites*||About missing Pics|
The Big Dogs of Mugen
If you want to pinpoint the primary reason why the Mugen community is the colossal joke that it is today, look no further than the unfunny, whitenoise protestfags that is known as RandomSelect. Most people will know them as the elitist group of Internet crusaders hellbent on abolishing warehousing, code thievery, and unbalanced Mugen characters everywhere, causing much grief on numerous Internet forums. In actuality, they are really nothing more than a handful of bumbling glory trolls looking to become the next fan-favorite idiot-bashing Mugen group by leeching off the legacy of a defunct Mugen trolling organization once known as MRev. Some of the most common antics from the master trolls themselves include:
- Assembling an army of Internet detectives and raiding forums yelling at n00bs about stolen Mugen characters, community ethics, feedback-listening, or whining whenever someone doesn't play Mugen competitively
- Flaunting screenshots and videos of their private characters that nobody will ever have, a troll which most certainly never backfires
- Writing angry Mugen character reviews and critiques showing you that like in ED IRC, you'll need to don your thickest skin before stepping foot into the ruthless Mugen communihahahahahahahahahahaha
- Constantly interrogating posters about proving their points or how they're dodging the issue to reaffirm their unrivaled Internet argument skills, then afterwards cowering away in their private IRC channel whenever they're being called out on the forums for their stupidity
- Ranting about the ego trips, attention-seeking, and USIs of others, all while plugging their shitty forums to boost their nonexistent activity, advertising their annual Mugen awards that nobody cares about, begging the MFG forums for Contributor status, mass-voting for themselves in every popularity contest, namedropping ancient Mugen personalities they've had no prior history with, and pretending to be an Elecbyte employee
- Throwing a hissy fit whenever forum admins prevent them from using their user name, because God forbid people can't recognize a real Mugen superstar when they see one!
- Posting phrases such as cupcake, comedy gold, and Ahaha, all while having the post histories of former MRev members open on another browser
- Replying with hilariously wacky troll responses such as randomy randomness!) (oh, those rascally Mugen kids and their
- Playing the Not Everyone is Going to Be Nice on the Internet card whenever they're being confronted about their antics, then conveniently bringing up the Be Nice, No Flaming/Trolling rule and begging for topics to be locked whenever they're the ones being mocked and ridiculed
- Blaming the revelations of their hypocrisy and stupidity on an ex-MRev idol's mood swings
- Making the occasional flounce post whenever faced with adversity and claiming to retire from the Mugen community forever, only to miraculously return months later when they feel people are anxiously begging for their return despite that nobody cares
My my, what a scary bunch of Capcom-pirating badasses we got here right guys?! Sadly, because the Mugen community is made up of simpletons who get easily impressed by any zero-trick pony trying to imitate Seanbaby, RandomSelect garners a large cuddle crew of fanboys and sympathizers alike who blindly mark out every time a member copypastes from an MRev member's post history to whine about a Mugen character. As a result, more than half of the entire Mugen community consists of delusional basketcase dramamongers that think they can A) regulate every user as to how they can use computer files on the Internet, and B) convince the tourneyfags at SRK to take seriously a game that features Evil Ronald McDonald as a playable character. UPDATE: RandomSelect has flounced off once again (lol nvm, already back from his flounce), but you can still find most of its members hanging out at its equally-lame affiliate site, Trinity Mugen.
|RUFF RUFF we're a pretty big deal in the Mugen community, you guys||About missing Pics|
|Heh heh, I'll just delete these flounces so I can deny ever posting them, you guys||About missing Pics|
|Gang Bang-O-Fun Goodness||About missing Pics|
Elecbyte Home Page - The official site of the makers of Mugen. Download the game here.
- Mugen Fighters Guild - Central hub for Mugen characters, collaborations, discussion, help, and drama.
Mugen Infantry - Database site where shitposting Melty Blood fantards and Xat users complaining about the power abuse carried out by shitposting moderators is commonplace.
- RandomSelect - What an original name! One of the only two forums that still use leechers, warehouses, stolen, and idiots in their daily vocabulary.
- Infinity Mugen Team - A "family-friendly" forum overrun by MvC-loving toddlers who create characters that reflect the coding skills comparable to that of, you guessed it, a toddler.
Club SyN X-treme - A gangsta-group of stage makers so full of USI they'll try to consume your entire disk space with their 100GB eye-gouging stages and seizure-inducing screenpacks.
- Trinity Mugen - Best described as being an unfunny hybrid of both RandomSelect and The AIDS that is killing ED due to the fact that they all post old, dead memes and act like giddy, starstruck schoolgirls whenever a former MRev member stumbles upon their IRC channel.
Mugen Genesis - The YouTube division of the Mugen community. Also a sanctuary for those with no character-making skills, but still want to have some sense of self-worth in the community.
- MUGEN CHARACTERS - DOWNLOAD MUGEN RARE CHARACTERS & CHAR - One of the so-called dreaded Mugen "warehouses", hosts a massive collection of Mugen characters Ebaums-style. Despised largely by the majority of the Mugen community despite being the only useful Mugen site in existence.
- Mugen Free For All - If the Mugen Guild was too much for you, head on to this small town where everything is the same, even the members!
- Street Fighter
- Mortal Kombat
- Marvel vs Capcom 2
- Marvel vs Capcom 3
- Super Smash Bros
- Mushroom Kingdom Fusion
- Copyright Infringement
M.U.G.E.N is part of a series on
Visit the Gaming Portal for complete coverage.