Talk:The Big Bang Theory
hello. you both have points. the policy is right but other stuff exists so idfk. care to hash it out guise? -hipcrime 16:09, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
I have to say, I was honestly surprised that there was no article for this show already.
While I understand that ED is not a TV guide, it's not like TBBT has no Internet relevance whatsoever. If you go to somewhere like /co/ or /v/ and ask their opinion of it and you'll inevitably get a fierce and violent reaction towards it precisely because of it's subject matter. Same with any other place on the Internet populated by the sort of people that the show supposedly satirises.
Besides which, there are pages for things like Futurama, why not The Big Bang Theory? It's the most popular sitcom in the world today. Shouldn't ED reflect and mock the zeitgeist of the time, as and when things happen? - Cleveland Bay II - Return Of Cleveland Bay 16:18, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
- So because you can ask a forum about it it has internet relevance? Futurama has spawned multiple memes. We document memes. You can ask /b/ about WIKIPEDIA:Special:RandomPage and get a reaction out of it. If you honestly can't see the difference in Futurama and a recolor of Exhibit C you should give up now. Mike the Great (talk) 20:23, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
- Holy shit imagine that, no drama here, it's all about a fucking TV show. no memes here, either. See what I did there? Mike the Great (talk) 20:28, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
So, ED is just Know Your Meme but with more swearing and casual racism, now? If you want to talk about 'memes' spawned by the show, you could talk about the greentexts on 4chan making fun of its laugh track. You could hold it up as a fine example of the obnoxious 'LOL, I'M SUCH A NERD XD!' culture that seems to be on the increase nowadays. I've even seen that "Bazinga!" shit from the show used (I hope) ironically on the *chans.
If you don't think the article is very well written, that's fine, but I don't think you can argue that a show like The Big Bang Theory, which is about nerds, the sort of people who spend a lot of time on the Internet, has no Internet relevance. If anything, given how disliked the show is among those sort of people for so many reasons, I think people would like to see an article about it. It's not like articles of this sort are entirely without precedent - we have articles on Justin Bieber and Twilight for example, both things that are popular with the mainstream but generally disliked online.
How many memes has Justin Bieber spawned? What's his Internet relevance? - Cleveland Bay II - Return Of Cleveland Bay 16:46, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
I just want to build on my point by saying that there are numerous other pages on ED that cover popular television shows that haven't spawned any memes or caused any drama. From the list of TV shows, I can pull up examples such as:
- The Legend of Korra - A fairly recent article, about a show I've not seen mentioned anywhere outside of Avatar fansites or /co/.
- American Idol - A hugely popular television show, but it nevertheless has no memes to its name or any Internet drama that I am aware of.
- The Young Ones - A show that hasn't been on or relevant since the 1980s.
- The Biggest Loser - A show about fat people losing weight. No memes. No drama.
- Gossip Girl - I'm actually surprised this has an article at all.
If we want to go by your own standards of what constitutes Internet relevance, why do these pages exist? - Cleveland Bay II - Return Of Cleveland Bay 16:58, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
- The question was never about your aptitude, more that you continually waste your considerable talents writing articles out of scope and I want you to get the message. Also once again, as with Futurama, Justin Beiber and Twilight spawn continuous internet drama and cesspools chat groups, forums DEDICATED to them, fanfictions, I mean you literally picked the two most internet popular things. Also in your list, old articles are old except the legend of korra. They're going to be here forever for archives (rip .com). I just want you to be more conscious of our scope. The article wasn't userspaced or moved for a reason. Wikis are fueled by differences of opinion and so long as you understand that there is a line between Exhibit C and AOTN, you can do anything. Mike the Great (talk) 21:06, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
My choice to reference Twilight and Bieber was intentional. They're two of the most popular things in the world at the moment and, at the present time, The Big Bang Theory happens to be similarly big, seeing as it is, at time of writing, the most popular sitcom in the world. If you want to talk about forums, fanfictions, fandom for those things, I'm sure Googling 'The Big Bang Theory fanfiction' or 'The Big Bang Theory fansite' isn't too difficult and will, doubtless, turn up reams of content.
But the question remains, is this article something you want on ED? If so, great. If not, no big deal. I've argued my point and cited my reasons but if I've failed to sway you, that's fine. No big deal. We'll move on.
Ultimately, I'm only trying to help. If I write something and it's crap, let me know. - Cleveland Bay II - Return Of Cleveland Bay 17:18, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
- Look at The Legend of Korra. That's an example of the grey area when something's completely out of scope, but the quality of the content is for some reason remarkably high. It wasn't deleted on sight strictly because of its quality. If its author were to keep making out of scope articles, though, it might become an issue. It's the same thing here, the question was never the quality. Also what I say is only an opinion and I wouldn't have linked you to the undo above (you should click it) if I cared. Mike the Great (talk) 21:23, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
- By the way, the 25x30 pauseable youtubes don't work anymore. It should either be 1x1 or big enough to kind of see it. Mike the Great (talk) 21:25, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
A'ight, cool. Sorry guise. I shall endeavor to try and keep my articles in scope for the wiki in future. I'm sorry if I keep going off-message, I really do wish to contribute to this site in a positive way. - Cleveland Bay II - Return Of Cleveland Bay 17:28, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
I think this article needs a plot section
Every time I see an episode of the show, the annoying plot (by which I mean the cocktease romance between Penny and the four-eyes) always makes me regret doing so. I never know what's going on or who's fucking who. A spoiler summary may help. -Gray 02:41, 26 June 2012 (EDT)
I'd support a Zimbabwe section. To be honest, though, I don't know enough about that meme to feel comfortable writing about it. It's a Reddit thing, right? - Cleveland Bay II - Return Of Cleveland Bay 11:17, 7 March 2013 (EST)