StumbleUpon is an InterWeb community which allows users to customize drama to their personal tastes. Through the user blog pages you can discover all types of shitty art, and by using the toolbar you can see the same flash animations that you're already sick of.
WTF is SU?
SU has user blogs where god awful photography and bad poetry can live side by side and a forum section to group sites and form cliques.
Drama on SU
For bonus points use a naked pic of yourself as an avatar and post in the Happy Birthday forum.
Surprisingly, most of the drama is in the forums. In the "core forums," a pentangle of immaculate posting, the admins regularly delete threads and ban users for "unnecessary" posting. Many lulz were had over user Squirt's permanent ban from one (or possibly two) forum(s). Additional drama comes from the friends network, where you can either fawn, be a minor internet celebrity, or simply surf people's blogs for pr0n.
Most Stumblers, desperate to be validated by the internet and rack up huge amounts of "fans" to lengthen their e-peen, will nearly always accept friend requests from complete strangers. Because the site is built on old code the new owners hardly ever bother fixing there are still plenty of glitches and oversights begging for abuse most notably the "Send to" function.
99% of the sites you'll come across in any given category will consist of lolcats, child porn, old memes, Chuck Norris jokes, shitty portal references, Ron Paul fanbois and that webpage you just saw 5 minutes ago. The users are the only thing worse than the websites - Everyone will comment by simply copying and pasting some sentence found on the website, followed by either "lol" "XD" or "love it!". For example, a stumbleupon review of ED would probably look like:
Around 2011, SU staff decided to fuck the site up by destroying the community features like customized profiles, custom tags, comments, and more. The result: the community significantly downsizes and loses over 9000% of the oldfags. SU was quickly overrun by spambots, and only a faint few oldfags and other real people still socialized. The community aspect was what made SU great, so this dumbass move by the staff obviously caused the company value to decline. They had to lay off 30% of their staff, and even went into debt by 2015. SU now exists as a shadow of its former self, forgotten by most of the internet; much like MySpace and Digg. Today, the 80/20 rule applies well to SU; 80% of the users are spambots, and the other 20% are Hipster or Normie scum.
- StumbleUpon home.
- An escape from SU.
- These were the good old days. Guess the players.
- ED's StumbleUpon page
StumbleUpon is part of a series on
Visit the Sites Portal for complete coverage.
|Featured article February 15, 2006|